The subject scope of the School Library collection reflects the courses and programmes in the School. The Library collections are very rich in Accountancy, Management, Management Information Systems, Finance, Public Administration, and Health Services Administration. Other allied subject areas covered are Economics, Statistics and Social Psychology. Every effort is made to acquire all Ghana Government publications and others on Ghana with special reference to Management and Public Administration.
The mission of the UGBS Library is to achieve excellence in the provision and promotion of world-class business information services to support teaching, learning, research and outreach programmes of UGBS using knowledgeable, competent and experienced staff and state-of-the-art technology.
The vision of UGBS Library is to be the pivot of the teaching, learning and research activities of the school.
Objectives of the Library
The basic objectives of the UGBS Library are:
- To acquire, organize, store and disseminate books, periodicals and other library materials that support effective teaching, learning, research and other outreach programmes of the School.
- To provide the physical facilities and equipment to enhance the most effective use of the library resources in the school.
- To teach library users the most effective and efficient use of the library and the resources.
- To assist and cooperate with faculty members in their teaching, research and other outreach programmes.
- To cooperate with other libraries, in the University Community in particular, in resource sharing.
The UGBS Library has staff made up of Professionals and Paraprofessionals.
Organization of Library Services
The library services virtually involve Acquisition, Classification/Cataloging, Circulation, Reference Services, etc.
There are internet-connected computers at various locations in the library for conducting all kinds of searches.
- All students of the University of Ghana Business School are required to register with the Library and to collect Library Identity Cards.
- Readers must not bring into the reading areas attaché cases, handbags, folders and newspapers. These items can be deposited on the counter at the security checkpoint.
- All MOBILE PHONES must be switched off in the Library premises.
- SILENCE must be observed at all times in the Library including the corridor leading to it and any communication with the Library Assistants and among readers must be done as quietly as possible.
- Users leaving the Library must show to the security officer on duty books or papers in their possession.
- Patrons must co-operate with Library officials when the need arises for body checks to be made.
- SMOKING IS FORBIDDEN IN ALL PARTS OF THE LIBRARY
- Food (including sweets and groundnuts) is not allowed in the Library.
- Great care must be taken of Library Books and they must not be defiled in any way. Particularly obnoxious is the habit of some students of writing in Library books in biro, which cannot be erased. Any defect in or damage to a book should be reported to the Library Staff. Patrons will be held responsible for any damage to a book while in their possession.
- Students must always carry their Library Identity Cards and show them on request. Admission may be refused to anyone who does not do so.
- Final clearance will only be issued to students when they leave the school.
- TICKETS FOR SPECIAL CLASSES OF MATERIALS
- On registration a student will be issued with one green ticket which he/she should use to borrow books and other Library materials which are not accessible on the open shelves. Such books and materials should be returned to where they were issued after they are finished with so that the loan record may be cancelled and the ticket released to the reader.
- Readers will be held responsible for all books issued on their tickets as long as the book cards remain in them. Likewise, in a case where a reader takes out a book by signing his/her name on the card he/she will be held responsible to it as long as his/her name or signature remains on the book card.
- Library Offences : – (a) Loss or misplacement of books and related materials (b)Unlawful acquisition of books and related materials (c) Mutilation of books and related materials.
- Sanctions:- The following sanctions shall be applied to these offences – (a) Loss or misplacement of books and related materials. A member who commits this offence shall be liable to pay the current price of the book, plus a service charge. (b) Unlawful acquisition of books and other related materials. A member who commits this offence shall be dismissed from the University. (c) Mutilation of books. Without regard to the category of books mutilated, a member who commits this offence shall be dismissed from the University.
- Permission to use the Library may be withdrawn by the Dean or the Librarian from any reader for breach of the rules in force at the time, or for any other cause that may appear to the Dean or the Librarian to be sufficient.
The UGBS Library Users comprise students, academic staff and other members of the University community. Other members of the public are to obtain permission from the Librarian.
- Institutional Repository – Publications arranged alphabetically by authors under various departments and under authors.
- Library Catalogue – It will take one to the Balme Library Home Page to conduct the search.
- Library Hours – The library operates for long hours during term time just as other academic libraries.
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 10:00pm (Depends on availability of transport for staff)
Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday 1:00pm – 6:00pm
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 12:30pm and 1:30pm – 5:00pm
- Reference Services
- Lending Services (Staff only)
- Inter-Library loan Services
- User education.
- Library News
Tel.: 0302 – 501594 Ext. 115
0302 – 500593 “
0302 – 513090 “
e- mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may contact the UGBS Librarian in Room 33.