On the Thursday, 1st August 2019, the University of Ghana Business School (UGBS) will be bidding farewell to the School’s outgoing Dean, Professor Joshua Yindenaba Abor, and will be welcoming the new Dean.
Professor Abor became the Dean of UGBS in August 2014 and has been very instrumental to the growth of the School. Listed below is a summary of his achievements during his five-year tenure in office.
- Repositioned UGBS as a strong brand in the African Business education market
- Formed a UGBS Corporate Advisory Group composed of Top-Class Business Executives who provide advice on issues that impact on the strategic direction of the Business School
- Revitalised the UGBS Endowment Fund.
- Developed a Five-Year Strategic Plan to reposition UGBS as a market leader
- Initiated the implementation of UGBS Annual Report
- Initiated the implementation of a plan for UGBS to attain international accreditation (AABS, AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS).
- Completed the EDAF mentoring process within two years instead of three years.
- Sustained and improved UGBS contribution and importance as a member of the Global Network for Advanced Schools of Management (a distinguished group of 35 of the world’s most prestigious Business Schools resident in all the 6 continents of the globe).
- Introduced nine (9) new innovative, relevant and job ready graduate level academic programmes.
- Rebranded and repositioned the ex-while Centre for Management Research and Productivity Development (CMRPD) into the UGBS Executive Development (UGBS-ED) Unit for brand enhancement.
- Initiated, reorganised and restructured the UGBS international study programme.
- Set up the Marketing and Communication (Marcomms) Unit of UGBS for effective brand management.
- Introduced the UGBS Seminar Series and UGBS Policy Brief Series which covered the practical implications of academic research on industry and government policy.
- Introduced the UGBS Alumni Practitioner Forum
- He worked together with external stake holders to replace the escalator for the physically challenged students in the UGBS Building
- Facilitated a donation of 1megawatts electricity generating plant to UGBS to mitigate irregular power supply from the national grid to UGBS
- Facilitated the UGBS Graduate Building phase two projects; refurbishment and modernization of the K. E Adjei Library for undergraduates.
- Worked with Tullow Ghana to develop a brand-new library for graduate students and secured funding for the procurement of furniture for the new UGBS Graduate Building.