Greetings from the UG Financial Association
Welcome to The International Improving Financial Awareness & Literacy Association at the University of Ghana Chapter website.
The FA Association is open to all UG students, faculty and staff, alumni, as well as their families.
We offer the gift of personal finance knowledge, classes, programs, and projects to improve financial awareness and financial literacy.
The International Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Association at The University of Ghana Business School (The FA Association)
The FA Association is housed at The University of Ghana (UG), the premier university and the largest university in Ghana was founded as the University College of the Gold Coast by Ordinance on August 11, 1948, for the purpose of providing and promoting university education, learning and research. Dr. Benjamin Amoah, is a Bank and Financial Analyst, Lecturer within the Department of Finance and is the Founding Coordinator of The Association. Ben with a research interest in financial education, started writing on consumer finance education. While in employment at Central University Ben, initiated the annual banking sector report in which he dedicated a chapter on financial literacy.
In February 2020, Ben met Mr. Peter Asare Nyarko, a Financial Literacy Advocate & Educator, and the Executive Director of Center for Financial Literacy Education Africa connected and exchanged contacts, during a Financial Literacy Press Conference. Peter then introduced Ben to Mr. Valentino Sabuco, Executive Director of The Financial Awareness Foundation, USA. Peter and Valentino informed Ben about “The Improving Financial Awareness and Financial Literacy Movement in Ghana”. These three individuals then discussed the need to lead the charge for Improving Financial Awareness and Financial Literacy in Ghana.
To get the FA Association started, Ben, discussed the idea with the Dean of Students Affairs, Professor, Godfred A. Bokpin, the Dean of the Business School, Professor Justice Bawole, and the Head of the Department of Finance, Professor Charles Andoh, who all agreed to support and make the FA a reality at the University of Ghana Business School. Dr. Edwina Dei Ashie-Nikoi of the Department of Information Studies agreed to serve as the second Coordinator for the Association. These individuals became the Founding Strategic Partners, UGBS Team, and were actively supported by CFLE Africa and The Financial Awareness Foundation.
The FA Association has Three Wings,
The Faculty Wing, the Students Wing, and the Alumni-Friends and Family Wing. The faculty wing is headed by the Coordinator. The students’ wing, has student executives who steer matters and affairs of the association concerning students. The Alumni-Friends and Family Wing are being developed. The Executive Founding Students are Miriam Arthur - President, Henry Duah - Vice President, Bless Delali - Secretary, Ofori Emmanuel Jnr- Treasurer, Wendy Fosu Afowaa - Organising Secretary.
- ♦ The Association exists to significantly Improve Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy in Ghana.
- ♦ Become the most sought-after scientific research support and service provider in personal financial management, empowering our stakeholders with Financial Awareness and Financial Literacy education across the globe.
We envision a Ghana and a World where every person is well educated and has personal finance knowledge - an essential life skill – necessary to make lifelong informed financial decisions while having access to the right financial advice and the skills and tools to manage their finances. Providing everyone the opportunity to achieve and maintain their financial stability, security, and freedom throughout their lives, while they pass on their values, knowledge, and assets to future generations to make their lives and this world a better place.
The Association Aims & Objects are to
- ♦ Assist the financial service industry in promoting financial awareness and financial literacy in Ghana.
- ♦ Provide technical & academic research to monitor The Movement and its advancements and provide the leadership within political, economic, and financial service organizations with valuable economic insights.
- ♦ Serve as a forum for member students, faculty, staff, and alumina for the discussion of matters relating to financial awareness and financial literacy.
- ♦ Foster close co-operation and brotherly relationship among Members of the Association.
- ♦ Organize lectures, symposia, picnics, and fundraising to support the University of Ghana, the Business School, and The Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Movement in Ghana,
- ♦ Offer Student Scholarships, Faculty Grants, and other worthy causes.
- ♦ Promote and maintain the spirit of friendship among members of The Association.
The membership of The Association shall be open to all persons who are within the University of Ghana Community, and at this time there are no membership subscriptions or fees.
Preview of what we are and will be doing
- ♦ Leadership role in The Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Movement in Ghana
- ♦ Assist in developing and delivering Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Curriculum Programs for all university students, faculty & staff, and alumni
- ♦ Establishing The International Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Research Center at UG. This will provide ongoing longitudinal, technical & academic research to monitor The Movement and its advancements, make improvements where necessary, and provide political leadership with valuable economic insights
- ♦ Initiate Professional Certification & Training Programs for financial service professionals
- ♦ Establishing Incubators / Accelerators to identify, assemble, create, and help launch and nurture/guide the successful growth of new and existing businesses.
- ♦ Develop a Network of Volunteers and Ambassadors that support The Movement and efforts at the University and throughout the University Community.
- ♦ Fundraising for UG & UGBS
Please enjoy your visit to our website and we welcome you as a student, faculty member, alumnus, strategic partner, philanthropist, friend, and supporter of improving financial awareness and financial literacy.
Please don’t hesitate in contacting us to learn more about us and our work, and The Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Movement in Ghana, and Africa.
Dr. Benjamin Amoah, Ph.D., ACCA, Patron Coordinator
The International Improving Financial Awareness & Financial Literacy Association
‘The FA Association’ at the University of Ghana Business School Chapter
TFAF Ambassador & Advisory Board Member
Lecturer, Department of Finance
University of Ghana Business School
P. O. Box LG 78, Legon, Accra
Official Email: email@example.com
We believe having better personal finance knowledge changes your world & the world around you… FOREVER!